Spring is well and truly here in Sydney and that means it’s time for many of those nasty pests that we all hate to come out and invade our homes.
Birds and Bird Mites will pose an immediate threat from here on. Ensure that birds cannot gain entry to your roof spaces and other areas of your home. Keeping birds out must be a priority. Birds carry Bird Mites which are tiny and can be in there thousands in a bird nest. The problem with these pests is that once the baby bird have grown up have left the nest these Bird Mites will disperse through your home in search of a new blood meal, the occupants of the house.
Bees and Wasps are another pest of spring that will invade homes. Paper Wasps build a nest in areas such as under eaves and other similar places. They will usually construct their nests on northern and western facing areas, as this is the direction the sun moves. Sometimes they can be concealed in foliage. If you see paper wasps, it’s recommended that you leave their removal to a professional as their sting can be very painful and each wasp can sting multiple times.
Bees will start to swarm. Swarming is a natural part of the reproductive lifecycle of bees. The warmer weather and increases of nectar and pollen in the environment cause the colony to increase in population, leading to overcrowding of the hive. This over-population is what prompts the bees to begin to swarm and reproduce. The swarm will usually come to rest in a cluster on reasonably nearby objects such as trees, shrubs and manmade objects such as signs, fences and buildings. The swarm will usually stay clustered it the desired area from anywhere between a few hours up to two days. After this time they will move on to a new site to and permanent nesting site. When bees are in this swarming state, stay away
from them and do not interfere with them. Contact a professional to assess the situation and take the appropriate measures that may be required. Do not attempt to remove the resting swarm yourself.
During spring, certain pests will start to pose an increased threat to our homes. These pests can include cockroaches, ants, spiders, ticks, mosquitos and many more.
Spring Pest Checklist
Some of these pests there is not too much you can do to prevent them coming to your property. But for pests like cockroaches, ants, spiders and mosquitos, there are some measures you can take to make your home less susceptible to them
Prevent their Entry: Ensure that your fly screens are properly fitted and have no holes in them. This will stop insects that fly in to your home.
- Reduce Clutter: Have a spring clean.Many pests love cluttered stored items as it provides very good hiding places for them. The big the problems is that if insects like to harbour within clutter, that’s where spiders such as Redbacks will hide. That’s were there food will be.
- External Walls an Eaves: Check these areas for wasp’s nests and spiders. If you find a wasp nest – don’t attempt to remove it yourself, their stings are painful. Spiders commonly found on external walls are black house spiders. While these spiders aren’t the most harmful, they do attract other spiders that love to eat them such as the toxic White Tail Spider. Spiders can be easily controlled by Amalgamated Pest Control with a 12 month service warranty.
- Trees and Foliage: Keep trees and foliage trimmed well back from the external walls of your home. This is commonly how ants and other pests will access your home. If you have had a pest control treatment at your home this is especially important as ants will bypass the barriers will place and access you home.
- Clean Out Gutters: Guttering that is full of leaves and other matter can mean that water is built up within and not flowing away as it should. This will be a good source of water for ants, mosquitos and other pests.
- Garbage Bins: Keep your bins sealed. Inside and out. If pests are able to access your outside bins, they will. There is plenty of food for them in there. Pest like flies, cockroaches and ants will take advantage of bins.
These are just some of things that you can do to make your home less susceptible to invasion of spring pests. Of course the best thing you can do is call Amalgamated Pest Control Sydney. Take advantage of the savings with of our spring offer for cockroaches, ants and spiders.
We will treat your home for pests such as cockroaches, ants and spiders and provide you with a 12 month service warranty which means you can be assured that through spring and into summer, you and your property are protected against pests. If the pests come back within the service warranty period, so will Amalgamated Pest Control. At no additional charge.
If you believe or suspect that you have a spring pest problem, contact Amalgamated Pest Control Sydney for further advice.